|Thomas Ogle's Tomb, as of Aug 21, 2021|
The original gravesite, a flat stone slab inscribed with the epitaph of Thomas Ogle, was placed over a slightly raised base. It split into sixteen pieces (large and small) that were removed in the late 1980s during an expansion of SR4. The broken sections, some with illegible or missing words, are being preserved at the University of Delaware’s Center for Archaeological Research. During the period the gravesite became overgrown and unsightly.
While building the new SR4/SR273/Salem Church Road interchange, DelDOT took historic and cultural responsibility for the gravesite. It avoided the grave area by shifting the ramp away. Using proven archaeological techniques, DelDOT expertly and respectfully confirmed that Thomas Ogle’s remains were still at the original location. Without disturbing the remains, DelDOT prepared new concrete footings on which a new brick mausoleum/base was constructed to support a restored capstone. The red brick wall is backed with solid blocks to establish a masonry wall of 6’ 6” long by 3’ 6” wide by 20” high.
|New wayside on the Jack Markel Rail Trail in New Castle|
Thomas Ogle’s various businesses, large land holdings and community influence led to the sizable area around his home being named Ogle Town (later Ogletown) sometime before 1762. The stately house, which Thomas also operated as an Inn, survived for 216 years. Thomas was buried near the historic house and a reasonable distance from the then narrow dirt roads that formed the crossroads.
Respectfully Submitted by:
Kenneth M. Ogle, President, Ogle/Ogles Family Association, Inc.
Francis Warnock & Angela Connolly, OgletownResilience.org, 1stBikes.org
Above: Bicycling to Thomas Ogle's tomb in Spring of 2016. The site appears somewhat maintained as little as 5 years ago. Today, a quarter millennium since his death, it has nearly disappeared under tree overgrowth.
Also see: Abandoned and forgotten: Thomas Ogle, 1705-1771